Printreg Archive
Re: Lock-out/tag-out enforcement of press cleaning

From: Brabitz William (William.Brabitz@BEP.treas.gov)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 06:49:37 CDT

My experience with OSHA on this subject, since it was a citable offense, is
quite different from your response. We were told that the normal day to day
operation of press equipment which includes webbing the press, removing
balled up sheets, replacing or cleaning out ink, removing plates and
replacing blankets did not require lockout/tagout. The use of interlocks and
stop buttons is acceptable even with more then one press operator performing
routine maintenance in different areas of the press. Our printers are
trained as "Affected Employees" and the maintenance staff (machinists,
electricians, ect) are the "Authorized Employees" in our OSHA abatement
approved Lockout/Tagout Program. "Affected Employees" know of the LO/TO/
policy and Authorized Employees actually do the LO/TO.