Printreg Archive
Re: Fugitive emissions in heatset offset printing - EU Company

From: Deb Jacobson (djacobson@istc.illinois.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 19 2000 - 12:29:24 CST

Based on your question I suspect you are asking about uncontrolled
emissions or what we in the U.S. would call fugitive emissions where a
pollution control device does not capture and destroy the emissions. In
reference to the 30% target of diffuse emissions, I am basing my response
on the assumption that diffuse emissions is the same as what we call
fugitive emissions.

In the U.S. in order to measure emissions commonly the printers maintain
records of specific product consumption and VOC content information. Then
perform emission calculations based on material and quantity used, also
known as mass balance. Emissions from a specific material are adjusted
based on the amount of material specific solid waste is generated and
disposed off site as well. Based on what you are describing the current
U.S. regulations do not specifically limit emissions like Europe.

In terms of reducing the total yearly solvent input have you considered
using alternative fountain solution concentrate (glycol based vs. isopropyl
alcohol based) and alternative blanket wash solutions which emit less
VOC. Ideal blanket wash alternatives exhibit a high VOC, but a low vapor
pressure (less than 10 mm Hg at 70 degrees C) so that they perform well but
evaporate slowly there by reducing emissions.

Gary Jones from the Graphic Arts Technical Foundation also received your
original message and will very likely have additional input that will
further explain and discuss your options. Thank you for utilizing the
PNEAC web site.

Regards,
Debra Jacobson