Printreg Archive
Re: Lead type and printers responsibility under OSHA 1910.1025

From: Matt Kaarlela (mattk@piatexas.org)
Date: Tue Nov 23 1999 - 14:54:27 CST

Scott, although lead is rarely used in printing shops down here, we have a
couple of members that still use it for a few hours a month. All they do is
do a blood-lead test of the affected employees annually. A blood-lead test
is not that expensive and should determine if an employee is receiving an
excessive lead exposure. OSHA has established blood-lead limits to compare
the results to and provided the employees are under the limit, no other
actions are taken.

We do encourage printers to have exhaust ventillation at the press to
reduce airborne lead concentrations. I know of one OSHA inspection at a
facility that used linotype and it was not an issue with the inspector. Of
course we all know OSHA inspectors can be somewhat subjective in their
application of the rules.

Matt Kaarlela
PIA-Texas