Printreg Archive
Proposal to Exempt TBA's As VOCs

From: gjonesprinting@aol.com
Date: Thu Sep 30 1999 - 12:05:40 CDT

To All:

Thanks to Bill Cluck of Saul Ewing for passing along this message. I thought
this would be of interest to those on the listservs.

Gary Jones
GATF

     ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY

     40 CFR Part 51
     [FRL-6448-4]
     RIN 2060-AI45

     Air Quality: Revision to Definition of Volatile Organic
     Compounds--Exclusion of t-Butyl Acetate

     AGENCY: Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

     ACTION: Proposed rule.

     SUMMARY: This action proposes to revise EPA's definition of volatile
     organic compounds (VOC) for purposes of Federal regulations related to
     attaining the national ambient air quality standards (NAAQS) for ozone
     under title I of the Clean Air Act (Act). This proposed revision would
     add t-butyl acetate (also known as tertiary butyl acetate or
     informally as TBAC or TBAc) to the list of compounds excluded from the
     definition of VOC on the basis that this compound has negligible
     contribution to tropospheric ozone formation. As a result, if you are
     subject to certain Federal regulations limiting emissions of VOCs,
     your emissions of TBAc may not be regulated for some purposes.