Printreg Archive
Re: Paper Dust Regulations and Fire Safety

From: Matt Kaarlela (mattk@piatexas.org)
Date: Fri Aug 13 1999 - 10:24:23 CDT

Betsy,
I think you are right on the money regarding the dust issue. When I was a
project manager
at an EPA superfund site in New Mexico, we had a HUGE problem with dust in
the
summer. I had an IH monitoring dust levels daily and you would not believe
how dusty it could be and still not exceed the nuisance dust standard. We
monitored
using real-time hand held monitors for total dust and high volume air
samplers with
cyclones for respirable fraction over an 8-hour time weighted average.

Bottom line is I think it would be very unlikely that a printing operation
with normal
ventillation would ever exceed the standard. You might be concerned with a
paper
grinding operation in a confined space or some other unusual application
but that
would be the exception and not the rule.

>With regard to OSHA's standards on Nuisance Dust, the 5 mg/m3 is for the
>respirable fraction which is all particles less than 10 microns. For the
total
>fraction the standard is 15 mg/m3. I think paper dust would have a small
>portion of respirable fraction. We print on plastic, so I have not conducted
>any studies on this myself. When sampling it is wise to sample for total
dust
>first and if you exceed 5 mg/m3 then do the respirable sampling. Sampling
for
>respirable dust requires a cyclone and takes a little more effort.
>
>Be aware that OSHA's standard for air contaminants is based on scientific
data
>from the early 70's. The American Conference of Industrial Hygienists
(ACGIH)
>publishes recommended guidelines for safe exposures based on the most current
>scientific data. Their 1999 safe exposure limit for Particulate not
Otherwise