Printreg Archive
Re: Paper Dust Regulations and Fire Safety

From: Lovensheimer, Betsy (betsy.lovensheimer@delarue-exton.com)
Date: Fri Aug 13 1999 - 09:26:00 CDT

With regard to OSHA's standards on Nuisance Dust, the 5 mg/m3 is for the
respirable fraction which is all particles less than 10 microns. For the total
fraction the standard is 15 mg/m3. I think paper dust would have a small
portion of respirable fraction. We print on plastic, so I have not conducted
any studies on this myself. When sampling it is wise to sample for total dust
first and if you exceed 5 mg/m3 then do the respirable sampling. Sampling for
respirable dust requires a cyclone and takes a little more effort.

Be aware that OSHA's standard for air contaminants is based on scientific data
from the early 70's. The American Conference of Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH)
publishes recommended guidelines for safe exposures based on the most current
scientific data. Their 1999 safe exposure limit for Particulate not Otherwise
Classified is 10 mg/m3 for the total dust and 3 mg/m3 for the respirable
fraction. The standard for cellulose is 10 mg/m3 for the total fraction.
Companies should strongly consider using the ACGIH guidelines to most
effectively protect their employees and manage their risks.

Betsy Lovensheimer
Health, Safety and Environmental Manager
De La Rue Card Systems Inc.