Printreg Archive
Re: HW Training

From: Jeff Adrian (jeffadrian@johnroberts.com)
Date: Mon May 17 1999 - 14:18:27 CDT

                      Re: HW Training 5/17/99
Bridgette:

To best answer your question, and similar questions from other Printechers, a good starting point would be to first determine what level of response the facility operator wants to an emergency incident. Answering this question first will then help determ
ine what type and level of training will be required, who can conduct that training, and where best to base that training.

For example, for many facilities, especially SQG, the facility operator will chose to have emergency response handled by the fire department. This approach greatly simplifies training to incident recognition, emergency response (911 and evacuation), and
possibly, post-incident reporting. Many companies have found that having their own highly-trained response team is overkill, expensive, and lacking in practice. Thus they utilize 911.

It is entirely possible to do all necessary training in-house for the balance of what is required: collection and storage, selection of containers, proper labeling, and shipping documentation. With changing personnel over time, a cost-effective way is to
 select an employee to receive train-the-trainer training. We used free or low-cost training from our state's Department of Transporation. Also, state regulatory agencies can and do provide this type of training to industry.

Hope this gets you going in the right direction.

Jeff Adrian
The John Roberts Company