Printreg Archive
CEIS Web Site on EPA's Home Page

From: Wayne Pferdehirt (pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 07 1998 - 17:50:18 CDT

Forwarded from Phil Kaplan, EPA Region 5 P2 Coordinator.
-Wayne

              This message is being sent to all EPA Employees
                        August 6, 1998 6:15 PM
  Please do not reply to this mailing. Please email your comments or
  questions about this message to Wendy Cleland-Hamnett. Thank you.

                                               August 6, 1998

MEMORANDUM

SUBJECT: Center for Environmental Information and Statistics (CEIS)
         Web Site on EPA's Home Page

TO: All EPA Employees

Today, we are taking another important step forward in expanding
citizens' right to know about polluting in their community by
launching the new Center for Environmental Information and Statistics
web site. We invite you to visit the web site via EPA's home page at
www.epa.gov/ceis. For the first time you can:

    learn about the air quality, water quality, drinking water safety,
    hazardous wastes or toxic releases in your community by making
    "one-stop" on the CEIS Web site, to get an environmental profile
    report. You can also learn about the quality of the data in these
    reports.

    quickly make a detailed map showing the sources of pollution in
    your community. You can also learn about the types and amounts of
    pollutants that have been released in your community;

    browse through our digital library of environmental quality
    reports and maps describing conditions in cities, states, the
    nation and other countries. You can electronically search
    through dozens of these reports to get information on a specific
    place or topic.

We launched the site in partnership with many of our
stakeholders-representatives of the business and environmental
communities-and the American Library Association at the Martin Luther
King Memorial Library here in Washington today. Now everyone can
access our data, reports and maps via the Internet on their own
computer, or by visiting their local library. EPA headquarters,
regional offices and labs are also making computers with Internet
access available to the public.

We would like to thank the program and regional offices, OIRM and
OCEMR staff who worked with CEIS in consulting our customers,
developing the web site and making it available to the public. We
applaud your collaborative efforts and urge you to continue working
together as we improve public access to the Agency's information
resources. If you would like to learn more about the Center, please
contact Wendy Cleland-Hamnett, Acting Director, CEIS on 202/260-4030
or via e-mail.

     Carol M. Browner Fred Hansen
     Administrator Deputy Administrator

  -
Please do not reply to this mailing. Please email your comments or
questions about this message to Wendy Cleland-Hamnett. Thank you.

--=_A8FC5B2F.30513140--

Wayne P. Pferdehirt, P.E., AICP
U. of Wis., Solid & Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon Street, Room 532, Madison, WI 53703-1195
Phone: 608/265-2361 Fax: 608/262-6250
pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu