Printreg Archive
Re: Red rag services

From: gjonesprinting@aol.com
Date: Wed Feb 25 1998 - 20:47:18 CST

This is in response to the question regarding the state policies on shop
towles. I have a copy of almost all state policies on the subject of reusable
ones. We are currently working with West Virginia as they regulate these
towels as hazardous waste. Most states do not regulate the towels as hazardous
if they are properly managed to remove free liquids and are stored in closed
containers. A contract with the lauderer and observation of appropriate DOT
regulations are also required.

Disposable towels are another challenge. They will have to be regulated as
hazardous if disposed and contaminated with a material that is classified as
hazardous. The obvious material is cleaning solvent, but some states also
regulate oil as hazardous.

EPA (i.e., Jim O'Leary) is currently evaluating this subject with the desired
to either issue a rule or guidance. EPA wants to address both reusable and
disposable towels. A preliminary report of the findings is available.

Please let me know which state policies you want.

Gary Jones
GATF