Printreg Archive
Re: Red rag services

From: Jeff Adrian (jeffadrian@johnroberts.com)
Date: Wed Feb 25 1998 - 02:05:45 CST

Pat:

You might look at the way states like Minnesota have handled
solvent-containing soiled shop towels. Here, if the generator takes efforts to remove
excess solvent by wringing or centrifuging, the soiled shop towels may be
transported to the laundry facility without manifesting being required.
This official policy has been in place and working since August of 1989.

We here at The John Roberts Company have just conducted additional tests
with Jim O'Leary of US EPA as he and his team are working on developing
either a national policy or and EPA guidance document. During the recent
tests using our centrifuge we examined four kinds of solvents, IPA, MEK, VM&P
Naptha (all F-listed waste streams) and for comparison, John Roberts' own
blend of aliphatic and aromatic solvents (Press Wash 1044, a D-listed
waste). Three kinds of disposable cellulose-based wipers, one rag-stock
disposable, and our standard re-cyclable shop towel (textile) were used in the
tests.

As of this time, I am not specifically knowledgeable of when any new EPA
policy or guidance document will be ready. Hopefully, this will be
resolved soon. For more info you may call me at 612-754-4420.

Jeff Adrian
The John Roberts Company