Printreg Archive
Rags & wipers in the business community

From: Wayne Pferdehirt (pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 23 1998 - 14:13:59 CST

Date: Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:43:16 -0800
From: "Carveth, Ray" <Ray.Carveth@metrokc.gov>
Subject: Rags & wipers in the business community
To: "'pat_gallagher@nmenv.state.nm.us'" <pat_gallagher@nmenv.state.nm.us>,
               "'pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu'" <pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu>

Hello Pat: My name is Ray Carveth, I'm the senior hazardous waste
investigator for the Local Hazardous Management Waste Program In King
County, State of Washington.

 A number of years ago we had the problem of rags being listed as
hazardous waste and the state wanting our business community to
manifest them. That issue generated more calls to our state legislator
in 24hrs than any other business related environmental issue. Our
business community was very angry about this issue. The state
department of ecology, several business association leaders, 3 large
commercial laundries , and I met several times, did some research and
came up with a pilot program to handle the rags without the
manifesting hurdle. That program has been in place for 5 or 6 years
now and has worked out to everyone's benefit.

We also did a small study to identify the real problem with rags /
wipers/ paper towels. It turns out the cloth shop towel, commonly red
or blue should not be our big issue , it's the disposable wiper, both
cloth and paper that is problematic for all of us, industry and
regulators alike.

If any of this is of use to you and you would like to know more give
me a call at 206-689-3053. Lets chat, then I'll be able to determine
how much of our information to send to you. have a great day

Wayne P. Pferdehirt, P.E., AICP
U. of Wis., Solid & Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon Street, Room 529, Madison, WI 53703-1195
Phone: 608/265-2361 Fax: 608/262-6250
pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu