Printreg Archive
Re: Shop Towel Retention Factors

From: gjonesprinting@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 08 1997 - 12:36:39 CDT

Tom:

The Wisconsin Shop Towel retention is contained in a policy released by WIDNR
on August 21, 1997 entitled "Guidelines for Determining Emissions From
Lithographic Printing Facilities" and joins at least two other policies
issued by Ohio and Pennsylvania on this same subject. Based on my personal
experience and that of selected printers, Indiana, Kansas, Missouri, Texas,
Illinois, Oregon, Kentucky, New Jersey, and Connecticut have all accepted the
50% retention factor. While I have not completed a complete survey of all the
states, the total number accepting it should be higher.

EPA has also recognized the 50% retention factor for low vapor pressure
solutions in the Alternative Control Techniques Guideline for Offset
Lithography (EPA ) issued June 1994. The definition of a low vapor pressure
solution is any solution whose VOC composite vapor pressure is less than 10
mm Hg at 20oC (68oF). The cleaning solutions and used shop towels must be
kept in closed containers.

I have an electronic copy and a hard of the Wisconsin policy and if you would
like a copy, please let me know.

Gary Jones