Printreg Archive
Re: Methylene Chloride & printers

From: Jeff Adrian (jeffadrian@johnroberts.com)
Date: Tue Jul 01 1997 - 12:55:26 CDT

 7/1/97 12:51 PM

George:

We have already eliminated the use of methylene chloride containing solvent.
The reason methylene chloride was helpful in lithography is that it served as
a cleaner for metering rolls on the water fountain side of the press, and it
worked because it dried quickly, did not leave an oily film on the surface of
the solution in the fountain, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, had sufficient "slip" so
as to not grab the wiper being used.

Our substitute is blended by Chemical Marketing Co. in Minneapolis. It is
called "Blanket Wash 92" and contains Lacoline (64742-879-8), Ethanol 200
(64-17-5), and Solv PM (2807-30-9). It has a vapor pressure of 43mmHg, and a
flash point of 45 F. You may contact them at 612-377-1971.

We discovered this us by accident. Originally, this product was selected as a
replacement for Type Cleaner (our restricted use, heavy-duty cleaner).

I hope this gets you pointed in a useful direction.

Regards,
Jeff Adrian
The John Roberts Company