Printreg Archive
Methylene Chloride & printers

From: Frantz-ENV, George (George.Frantz@state.ma.us)
Date: Tue Jul 01 1997 - 10:37:35 CDT

I recently became aware of the (new) OSHA rule on methylene chloride
exposure, and the requirement to monitor employees where it is used. As I
understand it, it requires initial monitoring of employees by Aug 8, 1997
( >20 employees) and by February 4, 1998 for employers w/ <20 employees.

In printing, lots of mixtures contain small amounts of methylene chloride,
and the rule apparently contains no deminimus. Is there guidance developed
especially for the printing industry? OSHA's fact sheets deal with severall
other industries, but I haven't yet seen anything for printers.

It appears that we may need to gear up for a major information campaign, or
work with suppliers to find (or list) available substitutes. Instead of
reinventing, I'd like to borrow from someone else's research to get something
out. Has anyone already crossed this bridge?

George Frantz MA/OTA 617-727-3260 x631 (fx) 617-727-3827