Printreg Archive
Reminders Re. Listserv Etiquette

From: Wayne Pferdehirt (pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri May 16 1997 - 01:15:30 CDT

Fellow Printech and Printreg Users:

Over the past few weeks there have been several instances of users
sending messages to the listserv that were intended, or more
appropriately sent, directly to an individual.

Please remember:

Before sending a message, ALWAYS check the address in the "TO:"
field. Think about whether the message you are sending is
contributing to an open discussion of a topic appropriate for list
users, or whether it's a personal message (for example, "hello",
"please send me a copy of ...", etc.) Personal messages
sent to the list can be embarrassing for you and for others, or can
frustrate other users with a lot of messages that do not contribute
substance to issues being discussed. Bob Gifford and I are exploring
ways the listserv operation could be modified to make it more
difficult to unintentionally post a reply to the list, but each
comes at a cost in terms of ease of use or spontaneity of
interaction. In the meantime, please remember to check who's in the
"To" field of your message.

Also, with vacation season coming up, I want to remind all
Printech and Printreg users DO NOT use the "automatic reply" feature
to send "Sorry I'm not here" messages while you are gone. Never
use the automatic reply feature when subscribed to a listserv. If
you do, you will start an unending loop that will keep sending
messages back to the list, thereby filling everyone's mailbox, and
causing lots of frustration by all. If you don't want to come back
to Printech/Printreg messages in your e-mail in-box, send a message
to Bob Gifford or me, and we will unsubscribe you from the list
during the period you are gone.

If we all pay attention to these details, we can maximize the benefit
and minimize the wasted time and frustration for all users. I am
attaching part of the message routinely sent to new subscribers
reviewing listserv etiquette; we'll plan to periodically recirculate
this as a reminder for all of us.

-Wayne

ETIQUETTE GUIDELINES:
The following is a list of Do's and Don'ts which will make the list
run smoothly.

*** DO NOT ASK YOUR E-MAIL PROGRAM TO CONFIRM RECEIPT OR
READING OF MESSAGES SENT TO THE LISTSERV ADDRESS. This
could cause looping of messages between you and the Listserv,
spinning off lots of messages to everyone's computers and
frustrating fellow users.

*** DO NOT USE AUTOMATIC EMAIL REPLY PROGRAMS WHILE
YOU ARE ABSENT AND SUBSCRIBED TO THE LIST. These automatic
reply programs send an email reply message for each one they receive,
including their copy of the reply sent to the list, creating a loop.
If you want to use one of these automatic reply programs, please
contact the list manager, pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu, to be
unsubscribed from the list during your absence and resubscribed upon
your return.

*** KEEP QUESTIONS AND COMMENTS FOCUSED ON THE
LISTSERV'S PURPOSES. If the question deals with technical aspects of
compliance or waste/emission reduction, this is the place. Direct
other questions to more appropriate forums.

*** DO NOT SEND PERSONAL RESPONSES TO THE LISTSERV.
If your response is of a personal nature or only valuable to one
person on the list, address it to that person rather than the posting
address. This will reduce clutter on the list. If you would not like
to see it in your mailbox, don't send it to others.

*** PLEASE USE DESCRIPTIVE SUBJECT LINES. Messages will be
archived and connected by subject lines. When others browse their
daily email or the archives, they should be able to gather a synopsis
of your message from its subject line. Messages with relevant
subjects will receive more responses.

*** PLEASE MAINTAIN THE SAME SUBJECT LINE FOR YOUR
REPLY AND BEGIN THE REPLY WITH "Re:". Archived messages
are automatically connected by subject lines by a software program
which must match the ENTIRE line and expects "Re:" as the reply
prefix.

*** PLEASE USE A SIGNATURE WHICH INCLUDES METHODS OF CONTACTING YOU.
Many private replies to every listserv can be avoided in this manner.

*** BE CAREFUL when including file attachments, not only are
attached word processing documents potential sources of macro
viruses (particularly for MS-Word and Word Perfect), but many
e-mail gateways do not do a very good job of processing attachments.
If you want your message to be read, put it in the main body of the
email.

*** PLEASE BE JUDICIOUS IN THE AMOUNT YOU QUOTE. Quote only the
portion of the original message necessary to connect your response to
the thread. Remember that everyone else probably read the original
message too.

*** GIVE AND RECEIVE. Don't hesitate to ask questions, but also be
sure to contribute whenever you have information that can help another
listserv member.

Wayne P. Pferdehirt, P.E., AICP
U. of Wis., Solid & Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon Street, Room 529, Madison, WI 53703-1195
Phone: 608/265-2361 Fax: 608/262-6250
pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu