Printreg Archive
FYI: EPA TRI news

From: Wayne Pferdehirt (pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 30 1997 - 17:16:44 CDT

Following up on the previous questions re. TRI expansion, I am
forwarding the attached note, which I just received from Wes Taylor of
Wisconsin DNR:

From: "Taylor, Howard W" <TayloW@mail01.dnr.state.wi.us>
To: "Aten, Thomas M" <AtenT@mail01.dnr.state.wi.us>,
               "North, Gail J"
               <NorthG@mail01.dnr.state.wi.us>,
               "Dunst, Russell C"
               <DunstR@mail01.dnr.state.wi.us>,
               "Wegehaupt, Matty J"
               <WegehM@dnr.state.wi.us>,
               "Feyerherm, Jennifer "
               <FeyerJ@dnr.state.wi.us>,
               "Stone, Victoria "
               <StoneV@dnr.state.wi.us>
To: "Persson, Lynn A" <PerssL@dnr.state.wi.us>,
               "'Wayne Pferdehirt'"
               <pferdehi@engr.wisc.edu>
Subject: FYI: EPA TRI news
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 15:02:13 -0500

This is all old (last week's) news, so I apologize for any redundancy.
I spoke with Thelma Codina, EPA Region V TRI Coordinator today and
asked her about several TRI questions. Here's what she said:

The 1996 EPA TRI Form R is completed and approved. The accompanying
instruction booklet has supposedly been completed also. A copy of the
form is available at: http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/tri/formr.htm The
instructions were supposed to be there on 4/28, but Thelma says they
aren't there yet. The electronic (AFR) diskette version is supposed
to be posted to this web site by mid May.

No new chemicals will be added to the 1996 list (so far as Thelma
knows), but several chemicals will have their de minimis
concentrations changed and hydrochloric acid will be reportable only
in its aerosol form (The HCl change was in effect for 1995, but was
put in effect after the 1995 instructions were printed.)

The industry expansion was also approved. However, the industry
expansion will not come into effect until December 31, 1997. So those
facilities in the expanded SIC codes will not be required to track TRI
chemical use/releases until January 1, 1998 and will not need to
report on their 1998 toxic chemical releases and transfers until July
1, 1999.

Thelma also said that since the 1996 Form R was given final approval
last week, printing has already begun. She estimated that the 1996
reporting packages will be distributed in late May. (I think her
estimate is very optimistic. Most people I've talked to said printing
and distribution will take 6-8 weeks, rather than 4. Eight weeks from
last week is June 18.) Thelma said EPA has no plans to offer late
filing amnesty or extend the filing deadline past July 1, 1997. (I
think it's likely that EPA will offer late filing amnesty if it can't
distribute forms by June 1, but that's just a guess.)

There have been no new decisions made regarding WI CRS Form Rs.

If you have any additional questions concerning EPA's 1996 TRI forms
or requirements, let me know.

- Wes

Wayne P. Pferdehirt, P.E., AICP
U. of Wis., Solid & Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon Street, Room 529, Madison, WI 53703-1195
Phone: 608/265-2361 Fax: 608/262-6250
pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu