Printreg Archive
Re: fountain solution alterternatives to IPA

From: Robert Gifford (gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 18:21:32 CST

Printech, printreg member,

The following discussion is occuring on printech, parts are repeated for
printreg-only subscribers. Please add you comments in a reply.

Original question:

Does anyone know of any fountain solutions that do not contain isopropyl
alcohol or ethylene glycol ethers and are less than 15% volatile organic
compounds? If yes, please send me their composition, VOC %, and the
contact information, or fax me the MSDS. Thanks very much...

Lois N. Epstein, P.E.
Environmental Defense Fund (Washington, DC)
lne@edf.org
fax: 202 234-6049

First answer:

Lois:
The answer is YES. Contact K-B Litho Supply Company, Kansas City, MO @
816-241-3070 and ask about their Alcoplus T5 Series. 0% VOCs, vapor
pressure
17.5 mmHg., no SARA reportables, no hazardous ingredients, flash point >
212
degrees F. Product was developed in Great Britain by Hydro-Dynamic
Products
(HDP). K-B Litho Supply is their U.S. distributer. This is a two part
product
that needs to be combined with either their product, Capital-R, or with
another such as Tower AR-1. Both of these do have VOCs, with Capital-R
having
about half that of AR-1. However, please note that as mixed for use, the
VOC
content of the fountain solution would be below 15%! This is an
excellent
product that we have been running for the past four years, at least.

Jeff Adrian, jeffadrian@johnroberts.com
The John Roberts Company

******************************

George Frantz wrote:

_________________________________
> Subject: Re: Re: fountain solution alter
> Author: printech-owner (INTERNET.PRINTECH) at ~SSWUS0
> Date: 3/26/97 9:11 AM
>
> Re: vapor pressure in printing chemistry... Bob Gifford's description of
> vapor pressure was helpful.
>
> I'm not a chemist, but from working w/ these issues pretty frequently, I've
> developed some home-spun understanding. If there are technical
> errors/omissions, I trust our colleagues will set me straight.
>
> Following the lead of EPA (and several states) in the Alternative Control
> Techniques document (ACT), which I believe was promulgated in 1992, vapor
> pressure was included as an optional method for measuring the potential for a
> substance to volatilize (evaporate). The older printing CTG had set a limit
> of 30% VOC for blanket washes for non-heatset litho, but the new document
> allowed using the alternate measure of 10 mmHg vapor pressure. So altho a
> fountain solution w/ a VP of 17 mmHg is still pretty low, it's above that
> threshold.
>
> The VOC/vapor pressure model is not used by all states, so you'll need to
> refer to your state's regulatory group to check status before adopting new
> chemistry.
>
> George Frantz*MA/OTA

******************************

New Addition:

Like George, my chemistry training is limited, mostly from my
meteorology
background in which the major vapor pressure of concern is that of water
vapor.
My meteorology textbook formula gave the following saturation vapor
pressures for water:
T: 25.00 C saturation vp: 23.74 mm Hg (as Dale suggested)
T: 20.00 C saturation vp: 17.53 mm Hg
T: 10.00 C saturation vp: 9.20 mm Hg
T: 5.00 C saturation vp: 6.54 mm Hg
T: 0. C saturation vp: 4.58 mm Hg

This is the maximum amount of water vapor that air at this temperature
can
hold. (100% relative humidity, which is actual vapor pressure /
saturation
vapor pressure expressed as a percentage, your meteorology lesson for
the day.)

(The following was determined with help from a WI DNR air permit
engineer.)
Now, if the vapor pressure measured is the saturation vapor pressure of
the
entire fountain solution, partly from the water and partly from other
constituents, the saturation vapor pressure would be an addition of the
saturation vapor pressures of the constiuent partial vapor pressures,
(as Dale implied), but with a weighting for each equal to their molar
fraction
within an ideal solution. This can be intuitively reasoned since each
molecule
which evaporates has to come from the surface of the solution. If there
are
X moles of constituent 1 and Y moles of constituent 2 mixed together,
the fraction of moles of constituent 1 at the surface of the liquid will
be X/(X+Y).
Non-ideal solutions also introduce a vapor pressure factor dependent
upon the
constituents, temperature, and pressure.

The CTG which George mentions for blanket washes states that the vapor
pressure is measured at 68 F (20 C), a standard EPA measuring point, and
that the regulated constituent's vapor pressure must be less than 10 mm
Hg. This implies that a blanket wash with multiple constituents can
have a total vapor pressure greater than 10 mm Hg, the same could hold
for fountain solutions.

Can any chemists or regulators on the list add to this?

* Robert Gifford
* Solid and Hazardous Waste Education Center
* 610 Langdon Street rm 531
* Madison, WI 53703
* (608)262-1083 Voice
* (608)262-6250 Fax