Printreg Archive
Re: Liability

From: Wayne Pferdehirt (pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 01 1996 - 08:37:42 CDT

Forwarded on behalf of Art Coleman, Ohio EPA:

To: printreg@great-lakes.net
Date: Thursday, July 25, 1996 11:41 am
Subject: Liability (SMTP Id#: 193)

I am working on a project to develop a tool for the printing industry
to evaluate potential liability. The purpose is to allow printers to
measure the difference in potential liability among different process
options; e.g., how much would liability decrease by switching from a
solvent to a citrus-based cleaner. Such information would allow
printers to make better decisions regarding their operations.

I am trying to get a handle on what the potential liabilities facing a
printing shop are. Superfund? RCRA fines? State fines? Litigation
damages from personal injury or property damage suits? etc. I would
greatly appreciate any info or insight anyone might have on what
issues are pertinent and what data might be available.

Thanks.

Ed Reiskin
Tellus Institute
11 Arlington St
Boston, MA 02116-3411
(617) 266-5400
ereiskin@tellus.com

Ed: I will confine my response to RCRA liability. I must admit that I
am not an authority on legal issues. Developing guidance on
liability is problematic. Under Ohio's hazardous waste program, the
extent and nature of liability for non-compliance depends on many
factors, for example, the type of violation, complaince history,
previous violations, response of the violator to Agency actions, etc.
 It is clear that to avoid liability under the hazardous waste
program, the best solution is not to generate hazardous wastes. Of
course, there would still be an issue of "third party" liabity. This
is another component of the liability universe. Good luck on your
endeavor.

Art Coleman
Ohio EPA
Division of Hazardous Waste Management