Ask PNEAC Archive: Ink used in U.S.

Ink used in U.S.

Robert Gifford (
gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Wed, 15 Sep 1999 12:29:47 -0500

From: "Robert Gifford" <gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu>
Subject: Ink used in U.S.

A recent article in Graphic Arts Monthly magazine, <www,gammag.com>,
listed a total dollar amount used to purchase inks, $4.4Billion. I am not
sure how much ink this purchased. There is a trade organization, the
National Association of Printing Ink Manufacturers, which may tally such
things. Their web site is <www.napim.org>. You may wish to contact James
Coleman, <jcoleman@napim.org>, who is listed on their contacts page as
the 'facts and figures' person.

If you are interested in reporting on ways to reduce the use of printing
inks, PNEAC has a fact sheet,
<http://www.pneac.org/sheets/litho/inks.cfm>, which describes some
general ideas. Another idea is for printers to recycle inks. Check out
<http://www.pneac.org/sheets/litho/lith_ink.cfm> for more ideas.

Thanks for using PNEAC. I hope that you can use the information.

Bob