Ask PNEAC Archive: Re: Reactive printing of textiles

Re: Reactive printing of textiles

Mike Ukena (
mukena@gte.net)
Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:53:54 -0400

From: "Mike Ukena" <mukena@gte.net>
To: <pneac@istc.illinois.edu>, <dkramer@wmrc.hazard.uiuc.edu>,
Subject: Re: Reactive printing of textiles
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:53:54 -0400

PNEAC_customer:

Reactive printing usually refers to the process in textile screen where an
discharge ink is used to extract the dye from the fabric and replace it with
the dye in the ink. The reactive part is a reference to the requirement
that the fabric must be reactive dyed in order for the process to work.

There are not a lot of printers doing this process, but it is not difficult.
The main reason for the low number of printers is because most of them avoid
printing with waterbase inks, which is what discharge inks are.

The other reasons that there are not that many printers are technical. The
printer must have excellent drying capability as the discharge process
actually occurs as the water in the ink is extracted or "steamed" from the
fabric. Second, many printers do not like the smell associated with the
process.

The activation chemical for this process is zinc formaldehyde sufoxalate
(ZFS). It does have an odor. It is not, however to my knowledge,
prohibited in California. I have personally seen it used in southern and
northern California. The actual amount used is quite small.

Most of the printers who are doing discharge printing are doing it on a
small scale, that is, garment by garment, for a specific image area. It can
also be done as a method to print a pattern on a whole bolt of fabric. The
advantage to discharge printing are it leaves a soft bright finish on a dark
fabric. The only real disadvantage is the smell.

Hope this helps.

Mike Ukena