Printech Archive, December, 1999: Re: Printing Rag Practices

Re: Printing Rag Practices

Lyle VanVleet (
VANVLEET@clitho.com)
Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:00:00 -0600

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 1999 09:00:00 -0600
From: Lyle VanVleet <VANVLEET@clitho.com>
To: printech-and-printreg@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: Printing Rag Practices

Brigette:
Commercial Lithographing Company is a sheetfed lithographer, we use textile
shop towels. The soiled shop towels are centrifuged then sent to a local
laundry. The waste solvent from the shop towels is shipped out as hazardous
waste (flammable liquid). The higher the vapor pressure of the solvents the
more solvent that can be recovered, and the more solvent that is recovered
increases the possibility of justifying a still for solvent recovery. I
would guess from conversations at PIA meetings that most of the litho
printers here in Kansas City use cloth shop towels.
===Lyle

===== Original Message from BMARTIN@gulf-states.com (Brigette Martin) at
12/07/99 8:05 am
>I would like to know what other printing companies are treating cleaning
>rags used in the printing departments (that has contacted solvents).
>
>Are most companies using disposable rags - if so how is the 'waste'
>classified?
>
>OR
>
>Are you sending the rags to an industrial laundry - if so is it a 'waste'
>then or any special manifesting involved?

Lyle I. Van Vleet
Commercial Lithographing Company
816/241-2218; fax 241-6091
vanvleet@clitho.com