Printech Archive, November, 1999: Insufficient COD reduction, Is sludge hazardous?

Insufficient COD reduction, Is sludge hazardous?

Doerschug.Karen@epamail.epa.gov
Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:53:15 -0500

From: Doerschug.Karen@epamail.epa.gov
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:53:15 -0500
Subject: Insufficient COD reduction, Is sludge hazardous?
To: printech@great-lakes.net

Hi-
Can anyone help Patricia, who works at a flexo plant in Brazil, with the
following issues?

1) In Brazil we've been handling some problems with flexo printers' wastewater
treatment in facilities using water-based inks. The treatment currently used is
the
physical-chemical treatment, but it doesn't reduce completly the COD and color
parameters. The question is: what kind of treatment have you in the US been
using for solving this problem?

2) Using the treatment previously mencioned causes a sludge production after
sedimentation. Do your systems produce that kind of sludge as well? Is it
classified as hazardous due to the amount of metal components of inks?

Thank you very much! All the information you could provide me would be really
helpful.

Patricia