Printech Archive, September, 1999: Re: Isopropyl Alcohol solution flashpoint

Re: Isopropyl Alcohol solution flashpoint

gjonesprinting@aol.com
Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:09:03 EDT

From: gjonesprinting@aol.com
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 17:09:03 EDT
Subject: Re: Isopropyl Alcohol solution flashpoint
To: printreg@great-lakes.net

Dennis:

solution/water mixtures, I had conduct a data mining of my files. I found two
studies, One conducted by the US Government Printing Office and the other
here at GATF. The GPO study examined the flashpoint of IPA and fountain
solution mixtures. The GPO study also evaluated the open cup and fire point
temperatures. Fire point is the temperature at which the solution will
sustain a flame. The GATF study examined the flashpoint of IPA and fountain
solution and IPA and water mixtures. The results are attached as a word
document as my email system could not handle the tables.

Gary Jones
GATF

Dennis:

In response to your question regarding the flashpoint of IPA and fountain solution/water mixtures, I had conduct a data mining of my files. I found two studies, One conducted by the US Government Printing Office and the other here at GATF. The GPO study examined the flashpoint of IPA and fountain solution mixtures. The GPO study also evaluated the open cup and fire point temperatures. Fire point is the temperature at which the solution will sustain a flame. The GATF study examined the flashpoint of IPA and fountain solution and IPA and water mixtures. The results are as follows:

GPO Tests

Percent Alcohol (Vol)

Open Cup FP oF

Fire Point oF

Closed Cup FP oF

5

185

None

122.5

10

131

None

102.5

20

104

119

87

25

93

105

81

30

90.5

99.5

70

75

84

84

64

99

71

71

59

GATF Tests

Percent Alcohol (Vol) and Water

Closed Cup FP oF

Percent Alcohol (Vol) and Fount Sol

Closed Cup FP oF

5

123.8

5

123.8

10

102.2

12.5

95

20

82.4

20

82.4

25

77

30

66.2

75

59

99

48.2

While there are some differences in the measured values, they appear to provide fairly good agreement. There does seem to be a difference at the 99% value as the literature reports a flashpoint of 53oF for pure IPA. The differences may be due to the grades of IPA used in each test. GATF reported the use of an industrial grade and GPO reported using reagent grade.