Date: 25 Aug 99 08:52:34 -0500
From: Jeff Adrian <jeffadrian@johnroberts.com>
Subject: Re: 2,2,4 trimethylpentane (Isopar C) - usage and health, safety information
To: p2tech <p2tech@great-lakes.net>, printech <printech@great-lakes.net>

Re: 2,2,4 trimethylpentane (Isopar C) - us 8/25/99
Mark:
Interesting question, whether lithographic inks contain Isopar C. I currently track all HAPs in our litho inks and can say that this is NOT present in our lithographic inks. What's more, I took the trouble to reaffirm this with our supplier's technical staff, and they have confirmed that Isopar C (and 2,2,4 trimethylpentane) is not in their inks.

For the record, our supplier is Flint Ink, one of the largest ink suppliers in the country.
Also, I am very familiar with cleaning solvent blends used in the printing industry, and I can confirm that Isopar C is not a component in any cleaning solvent blend I have encountered.

Also for the record, the HAPs that may be seen in lithographic inks include: Ethyl Benzene (100-41-4); Methyl Carbitol (111-77-3); Butyl Carbito (112-34-5); Hydroquinone (123-31-9); Butyl Carbitol acetate (124-17-4); Hydrochloric acid (7647-01-0); Xylene (1330-20-7); and Formaldehyde (50-00-0).
The above listed HAPs occur in very small quantities. Typically, in our experience, all HAPs combined account for about 2/10ths of one percent of product weight in our lithographic ink.

Hope this lends some clarity to your research, and to others who may have questions regarding HAPs in lithographic inks.

Regards,
Jeff Adrian
Director, Environment & Safety
The John Roberts Company