Printech Archive, September, 1999: Re: 2,2,4 trimethylpentane (Isopar C) - usage and health, safety information

Re: 2,2,4 trimethylpentane (Isopar C) - usage and health, safety information

MARK STODDARD (
MSTODDAR@dem.state.in.us)
Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:39:30 -0500

Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 10:39:30 -0500
From: MARK STODDARD <MSTODDAR@dem.state.in.us>
To: printech@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: 2,2,4 trimethylpentane (Isopar C) - usage and health, safety information

I am wondering if a shift from this molecule to toluene might be a perceptual issue because of the smell of gasoline and its connection with vehicle maintenance/service stations rather than whether one molecule versus another is more effective as an ink solvent.

I assume from your response that if this material is used in printing operations, it would be predominantly used in rotogravure.

Thanks for your help!

Mark C. Stoddard
IDEM/CTAP

>>> <gjonesprinting@aol.com> 09/09/99 04:15PM >>>
Dear Mark:

In response to your request for the above information, I contacted the National Association of Printing Ink Manufacturers and was told that this compound was used (and possibly still is to a limited extent although it has generally been replaced by toluene) in some liquid ink systems. None of the sources NAPIM contacted believe that it is or ever was used in litho ink systems. If you require a more definitive response please let me know.

Gary