Printech Archive, September, 1999: Re: Isopropyl Alcohol solution flashpoint

Re: Isopropyl Alcohol solution flashpoint

SSchuler (
SSchuler@pimn.org)
Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:01:24 -0500

From: SSchuler <SSchuler@pimn.org>
To: printech@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: Isopropyl Alcohol solution flashpoint
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1999 10:01:24 -0500

I posed this question to a local Twin Cities solvent manufacturer
several years ago. Their chemist sent me some information on this
subject that may prove useful to you. I had to dig deep into my files
to find it for you so you owe me now. :-)

Please note that this information is taken from the October 1981 issue
of Modern Paint and Coatings. Using a Setaflash flash point measurement
instrument which "agrees quite well with Tag closed cup values," they
identified the following flash points of the following concentrations of
IPA/Water mixtures:

5% IPA/95% water = 118.5 degrees F
10% IPA/90% water = 98.0 degrees F
20% IPA/80% water = 82.5 degrees F

My other sources indicate that the flash point of 100% IPA is between
53-55 degrees F using a Tag closed cup tester.

This local Twin Cities solvent manufacturer chemist also tested a sample
of fountain solution as used on a litho sheet fed press containing 10%
IPA as verified by a gas chromatograph and found the mixture of water,
IPA, gum arabic, etc and found it to have a flash point of 180 degrees
F. They used a Koehler Model #K14600 Tag Closed Cup Flash Tester that
conformed to ASTM D56 whatever that means.

After all the digging in my files, I hope you find this information
useful. You may also be able to find this information in the latest
edition of the Handbook of Chemistry & Physics