Printech Archive, July, 1999: Re: Ink Roller Settings

Re: Ink Roller Settings

Robert Gifford (gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:28:19 -0500

From: GATFMatt@aol.com

specifications for a Solna press. The ink form rollers should have a
durometer (hardness) around 30 degrees shore. The transfer rollers should be
around 35 degrees shore. The rubber compounds are trade secrets, so chose a
reliable manufacture. The rollers should be cleaned with a roller wash
approved or manufactured for printing press rollers. Kerosene and gasoline
are not recommended as they can cause the rubber to deteriorate faster and
will cause the rubber to swell. Solvents are tested in the lab for
compatibility with roller rubber, by placing a sample of the rubber in the
solvent for 24 hours and then measuring the amount that the rubber swelled.
Most of the press roller washes contain milder solvents, and surfactants.
Water should also be used as finale step when rinsing the rollers. Water
removes the gum and non solvent soluble residues from the rollers and reduces
the accumulation of glaze. Glaze build-up on the rollers is the most common
problem and reduces the rollers ability to efficiently transfer ink. Ink
mileage or reduced consumption of ink is realized at minimum ink/water
balance levels and dose not have much to do with the rubber compound. Minimum
ink/water balance is achieved with proper roller settings and experience.
Roller settings are critical so that the roller wash-up properly cleans the
rollers and dose not leave any ink sludge residue on the rollers. Roller
settings should be checked weekly. I hope this information is of some help.

Regards;

Dillon Mooney
GATF Technical Inquiry Desk

_________________________________

On Thu, 15 Jul 1999 03:09:55 +0100 Ronald C. Valdehueza wrote:
> What is best specifications of my Solna 125 Rollers like ink transfer
> rollers and ink form rollers, espcially rubbers speciifcations to avoid
> ink wastage, and what is the best chemical to wash the rollers after
> printing other than kerosene. Considering of course the economic factor
> and the availability here in our country.

gatfmatt@aol.com
Robert Gifford
Printers' National Environmental Assistance Center, and
Univ. of Wisconsin - Extension
Solid and Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon St., rm 531
Madison WI, 53703
Voice: 608-262-1083 Fax: 608-262-6250
email: gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu