Printech Archive, July, 1999: Re: Paper Recycling with Water-Based and Soy Inks

Re: Paper Recycling with Water-Based and Soy Inks

Peter Rudy (rudy@recycle.com)
13 Jul 1999 13:58:48 -0400

Reply to: RE>Deinking

Another good source is Bill Forester at Western Michigan University's prestigious Department of Paper and Printing Science and Engineering (of which I am a grad so I can write "prestigious"). Call Bill at (616) 387-2830 to discuss!

--------------------------------------
Date: 7/13/99 10:35 AM
To: Peter Rudy
From: printech@great-lakes.net
Hi Keith.

I am not an expert in deinking and recycling so I personally cannot
answer your question. However, I would think that someone at the
Technical Association of the Pulp and Paper Industry (TAPPI) might be
able to come up with the definitive answer for you. Their 800 number is
800-332-8686. Seresa Woodward is their technical assistant in their
Graphics area. Her direct number is 770-209-7410. She either will have
the answer for you or get you going in the right direction. You might
also want to try someone at the Miami Paper Corporation in West
Carrolton, OH. The contact I have there is Jobe B. Morrison. I haven't
spoken with him in about six years. The last I knew he was the VP of
manufacturing and was extremely knowledgeable in the topic you are
researching. At the time his phone number was 513-865-6032. I hope
it's still current.

I also found the following quote in a book entitled, Recycled Papers:
The Essential Guide (Claudia Thompson - American Institute of Graphic
Arts):

"While most inks are oil-based, some flexographic inks are water based.
These inks have proven to be problematic in some deinking systems,
although this is not universal." (Discussion at New England
TAPPI/Connecticut Valley Pima Technical Seminar on Deinking, March
1991.)

A call to the National Association of Printing Ink Manufacturers
(201-288-9454) and/or the American Soybean Association may be in order.
Also, you may want to call either Stan Lancey or Virgil Horton at the
National Forest and Paper Association (formerly American Paper
Institute) at 212-340-0636.

I hope this helps you.

Scott Schuler
Environmental Director