home.gif (1513 bytes) search3.gif (2009 bytes) vendbutton.GIF (1330 bytes) sheets.gif (1248 bytes) listservsbutton.gif (1834 bytes) compicon2.gif (1425 bytes)

Printech Archive, June, 1999: Re: Non haz solvents

Re: Non haz solvents

Tower Products Inc (tower@enter.net)
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 12:26:24 -0400

----------
> From: Indra Wiriady <wiriady@eudoramail.com>
> To: printech@great-lakes.net
> Subject: Re: Non haz solvents
> Date: Monday, June 28, 1999 9:11 AM
>

> --
>
> On Thu, 24 Jun 1999 12:29:43 Brigette Martin wrote:
> >Are there any offset printing operations using non hazardous blanket or
roller wash solvents (flash point of 140F or higher)?

> >With pending shop towel regulations, we are under the gun to try some
non characteristic hazardous solvents.

> >Thanks,
> >
> >Brigette Martin
> >Environmental Compliance Coordinator
> >GSPC
> >
> There are solvents that can be mix with water. According to the supplier,
this make the solven unflameable. We've tried the product from Strecker and
Varn Chemicals (VWM Wash).

> Join 18 million Eudora users by signing up for a free Eudora Web-Mail
account at http://www.eudoramail.com

This statement is not accurate. In fact, with the water miscible washes
described above, water may actually lower the flashpoint. The only true
way to determine a products' flammability is to flash test it.
The test method most accepted is tag closed cup.

If I can clarify any further issues, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards,
Rick Principato
Tower Products