home.gif (1513 bytes) search3.gif (2009 bytes) vendbutton.GIF (1330 bytes) sheets.gif (1248 bytes) listservsbutton.gif (1834 bytes) compicon2.gif (1425 bytes)

Printech Archive, June, 1999: Re: Non haz solvents

Re: Non haz solvents

Jeff Adrian (jeffadrian@johnroberts.com)
25 Jun 99 08:29:14 -0500

Re: Non haz solvents 6/25/99
Bridgette:

I believe the core of your question lies in your sentence: "My goal is to find a product that works well, fast, moderate VOCs and flashpoint high enough to keep the waste from needing to be treated as hazardous".

To the best of my knowledge, I know of no product that is both "fast" and "works well" that meets the other criteria in your sentence: "low VOCs" and also a "high-enough flashpoint" to avoid classification as a EPA "hazardous waste".

One important fact that may work in your favor: classification of waste as hazardous is based upon "waste as generated". What this means is if you are using automatic blanket washing equipment where a solvent spritz is followed by a water spritz, the waste "as generated" may already measure at greater than 140 degrees F. You would have to test to be sure, and you would have to take particulr care to segregate collected used press wash generated by automatic blanket washing systems from other solvent waste.

Because of the difficulty in assuring the last idea of segregation, perhaps the best alternative is to consider in-house recovery and distillation of you press solvents. Other responding to your request for guidance have already highlighted this idea.

If, in your research, you should find the "ideal solvent", please let the rest of us know as I'm sure many would benefit from such a discovery.

Best wishes.

Jeff Adrian
The John Roberts Company