Printech Archive, April, 1999: Re: A question for technical assistance providers

Re: A question for technical assistance providers

Robert Gifford (gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 14:31:48 -0500

A message from the Printech listserv forwarded to Printech-and-Printreg,
to catch a wider audience.

From: DAVE INMAN <dinman@norbic.org>
Subject: Re: A question for technical assistance providers

[DAVE INMAN]

The entire P2 metrics/accounting issue is a difficult one,
especially for area sources. Let me list just several of the problems
w've encountered:

*media transfer
*lack of baseline measurements, very common for area sources
*large variations (percentage wise) in emissions from
year-to-year
*determining emission reductions creditable to educational
(voluntary) measures v. compliance (mandatory) measures
*work practices/housekeeping/fugitives measurements
*sources' record keeping
.
.
.

I'm all for someone pursuing this topic. We've worked with some
smaller sources in which sigular actions (for example, switching from a
chlorinated solvent to an aqueous cleaner) allowed us to put solid
emission reduction values on our assistance project. In most cases,
however, we've ended up helping the business owner implement a package
of smaller activities that defy measurement, although we can claim that
each of those activities result in environmental benefits. We often
believe that we work more in the qualitative than than the quantitative
arena, and that is especially true the smaller the client.
Robert Gifford
Printers' National Environmental Assistance Center, and
Univ. of Wisconsin - Extension
Solid and Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon St., rm 531
Madison WI, 53703
Voice: 608-262-1083 Fax: 608-262-6250
email: gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu