Printech Archive, February, 1999: Re: Letterpress Case Studies

Re: Letterpress Case Studies

Debra Kramer (dkramer@ais.net)
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 07:07:30 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: gjonesprinting@aol.com [SMTP:gjonesprinting@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, February 15, 1999 1:42 PM
To: kaw@rti.org
Cc: rhartwig@printing.org; dkramer@ais.net; ksgross@prodigy.net; Pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu
Subject: Re: Letterpress Case Studies

Dear Keith:

I am not aware of any case studies regarding letterpress and the subjects
identified in your email request. The principal reason is that letterpress is
not as common as it once was and has declined dramatically in its use since
the 1800's -early 1900's However, all is not lost as there is quite a
similarity between letterpress and offset lithographic printing. The inks are
virtually identical and dry in the same manner. The large difference is in how
the plates are made and the fact that fountain solution is not used in
letterpress operations. In a study conducted in 1995 on energy use in the
printing industry by the Electric Power Research Institute (614/421-3440) and
NPES (703/264-7200), data specifically on letterpress was not collected or
reported. given the similarities between litho and letterpress, perhaps this
study could be beneficial as it does contain some case studies.

Gary Jones
GATF