Printech Archives, September 1998: Re: Assessment for Newspaper Printer

Re: Assessment for Newspaper Printer

Jeffrey Matusow (matusow@usa.net)
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 14:44:49 -0400

What type of benchmarking are you using to measure productivity gains? Are
you measuring paper waste? Are you monitoring web breaks and unscheduled
downtime? Is there a documented MAKE-READY EFFICIENCIES program in place?

Jeffrey Matusow
Printers Service (PRISCO)
-----Original Message-----
From: Wayne Pferdehirt <pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu>
To: printech@great-lakes.net <printech@great-lakes.net>
Date: Wednesday, September 30, 1998 11:30 AM
Subject: Assessment for Newspaper Printer

Forwarded from Phil Sacks, of U of FL:

All,

We have recently performed an assessment for a newspaper printing
company. We are having some difficulty finding energy, waste, and
productivity improvement recommendations to relay to the company. If
anyone has any information which they feel would be helpful, we would
appreciate a response.

The company has 2 presses, uses water-based ink, and recycles just
about everything, including aluminum plates and negatives. We are
already considering high-efficiency lighting and motors, occupancy
sensors, air-compressors, A/C, forklifts, and pallets.

Thanks in advance for you help,

Philip Sacks
University of Florida
Industrial Assessment Center