Printech Archives: August, 1998: Reported Odors from UV Offset Printing

Reported Odors from UV Offset Printing

Wayne Pferdehirt (pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 08:15:30 CST

Do any Printech participants have any further information that might
help respond to this inquiry from Holland?
-Wayne

From: Self <EPD/PFERDEHI>
To: Marcel.Mennen@rivm.nl
Subject: Reported Odors from UV Offset Printing
Cc: uveb@radtech.org
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 08:13:17 CST

Doctor Mennen:

I believe the best source of information on the questions you pose is
RadTech, a trade association focused on UV and electron-beam
processes, technologies and services.

RadTech is on the World-Wide Web at
http://www.radtech.org/

In the U.S., I have usually referred technical questions to Alexander
Ross at (703) 534-9313.

I noticed on RadTech's Web site that they also have contacts in
Europe. The following references are copied from the RadTech Web
site:

"For administrative, membership questions, please contact:
RadTech Europe Administrative Office, c/o Lejeune Secretariaten,
NL-2585 EW The Hague (Netherlands), Tel. +31 360 3837, Fax +31 363
6348, email: lejeusec@euronet.nl

For technical questions on radiation curing, activities, events,
conferences, seminars, publications: RadTech Europe Professional
Services, Dr.J. Seidel, Etraz 50, CH-1260 Nyon email:
radtech.seidel@bluewin.ch Fax (& Phone) +41 22 361 6550

For questions on Health, Safety, Environment, Regulatory Newsletter,
Safety Posters, contact: HSE Secretary, BP 34, F-67610 La Wantzenau
(France), Fax (&Phone): +33 388 96 37 05, email: edelweiss@wanadoo.fr"

I will also forward your inquiry to Printech, the PNEAC listserv.

I hope this information is helpful.

Regards,
Wayne Pferdehirt
Co-Director, PNEAC

> Who can help me with the following problem?
> In a village in our country, residents living near a company
> which makes printed labels regularly complain about a bad smell
> probably caused by emissions from the company building during
> the printing process. The company uses an UV offset printing
> technique and they claim that no volatile organic compounds
> (VOCs) are emitted from the printing inks during the printing
> process (VOC free printing). The printing inks used are acrylate
> based (so called polyfunctional acrylates and trifunctional
> oligoacrylates; the trade names of the inks are Lithocure and UV
> Tronic 500). The acrylates are fixed on the paper by UV.
> According to the company, the bad smell might be caused by
> heating of the printing paper possibly in combination with the UV
> treatment.
>
> I am looking for information about:
> - the UV offset process with acrylate-based inks?
> - which acrylate compounds are normally used in these
> inks; what substances migth be meant with
> polyfunctional acrylates and trifunctional oligoacrylates? -
> is it likely or possible that VOCs are emitted from the
> inks or reaction products during the UV treatment, which
> might cause a bad smell? - is it likely or possible that
> gases are emitted from the printing paper during the UV printing
> process, which might cause a bad smell?
>
> Please let me know names of other persons or institutes which
> might help us with these questions?
>
> Dr. Marcel G. Mennen
> National Institute for Public Health and Environment
> Inspection Research and Environmental Incident Services
> P.O. Box 1, 3720 BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
> tel. 31.30.2742998/S=3120
> fax: 31.30.2290919
> E-mail: Marcel.Mennen@rivm.nl

Wayne P. Pferdehirt, P.E., AICP
U. of Wis., Solid & Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon Street, Room 532, Madison, WI 53703-1195
Phone: 608/265-2361 Fax: 608/262-6250
pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu