Printech Archives, June, 1998: MSDS Improvements

MSDS Improvements

Lechner, Wendy (
WLechner@printing.org)
Tue, 19 May 1998 15:18:47 -0400

From: "Lechner, Wendy" <WLechner@printing.org>
To: printech@great-lakes.net
Subject: MSDS Improvements
Date: Tue, 19 May 1998 15:18:47 -0400

The Printing Industries of America is pushing legislation to 1)simplify
and standardize MSDSs and 2) permit employers to use electronic MSDS
systems in place of paper systems if they choose. We've run into a buzz
saw with the Chemical Manufacturers Association, which wants to use the
international ANSI standard that MAY be developed in 4-5 years. Our
members have told us they want useful handling, first aid, and clean up
information now. Our sponsors (bi-partisan, by the way) are looking for
support from chemical users, and particularly from safety and health
groups and individuals.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would email me the names of
organizations that might be interested in this. I'd be interested in
contacts in any field that feels MSDSs need to be more targetted to
worker safety. Also, if you might be interested in sending a letter
from your company, I'd be happy to fax you a fact sheet and a copy of
the bill. You can e-mail me directly at wlechner@printing.org.

Thanks much.