Printech Archives, June, 1998: Re: Addressing

Re: Addressing

Wayne Pferdehirt (
pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 10:41:15 CST

From: "Wayne Pferdehirt" <pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu>
To: printech@great-lakes.net
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 10:41:15 CST
Subject: Re: Addressing

Donna,
Your proposed approach seems like a good selection to me. My
understanding is that most inkjet inks for addressing have
significant (don't know percentages) of VOC content. In fact,
QuadTech, a subsidiary of QuadGraphics, markets a VOC recovery unit
for use with inkjet addressing systems. Have you investigated
availability/use of water-based inkjet inks? Do you know VOC
content?

Seems like with mass mailings one of the biggest areas of P2
opportunities is mail list management to eliminate duplicates and
out-of-date addresses, and not printing excess numbers of promo
materials.

> I've been researching "environmentally-preferred" options for
> addressing our newsletter.
>
> I'm concluding that inkjet printing with aqueous-based ink for a
> mailing of 4000 newsletters on uncoated paper, 80 lb is one of the
> better options.

Wayne P. Pferdehirt, P.E., AICP
U. of Wis., Solid & Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon Street, Room 532, Madison, WI 53703-1195
Phone: 608/265-2361 Fax: 608/262-6250
pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu