home.gif (1513 bytes) search3.gif (2009 bytes) vendbutton.GIF (1330 bytes) sheets.gif (1248 bytes) listervsbutton.gif (1834 bytes) compicon2.gif (1425 bytes)

Printech Archives, May 1998: Re: Ink Meters

Re: Ink Meters

Jim Hadley (
jhadley@netinfo.ci.lincoln.ne.us)
Wed, 27 May 1998 10:21:26 -0500

Curt:

Before buying ink meters and spending time counting ink flows, I would
ask-- are the DREs for the three units really diffent? Are there
differences in the control equipment that explain the different DREs?
How much variability/uncertainty was there in your DRE estimate?

Of course, I don't know the details of your testing and equipment, but
my experience is that there can be considerable uncertainty in these
estimates. By the time you propagate uncertainties in press operating
conditions, air flow rates, and concentration measurements through the
DRE calculations, you may see overlapping uncertainties. In this case,
you may want to pool the results (which can tighten the confidence
interval) and determine a lower bound DRE, at a confidence level
acceptable to the state, like 90%.