Re: Aqueous Coating Waste

Debra Kramer (
kramer@cmcusa.org)
Fri, 6 Mar 1998 08:37:23 -0600

I am forwarding a my response (with the originator's permission) to an inquiry about a specific compliance question re/ disposing of aqueous coating waste. The original inquiry was posted on printech and printreg on March 3rd, 1998.

Also note - the originator did confirm the waste does contain a portion of ammonium compounds and recently samples have been sent to an independent laboratory for analysis.

Deb Kramer
----------
From: Debra Kramer
Sent: Thursday, March 05, 1998 8:39 AM

Subject: Re: Aqueous Coating Waste

Tim -
In order to discharge the waste you may need to get a permit from your local sanitary authority. You will need to check with them and get a copy of the regulations. Unless you have already had analytical run on the discharge you will probably need to do this. Even if you don't have to obtain a permit, the question of whether or not the solution does not exceed the discharge limits needs to be documented in case there is ever a question about compliance. You may be able to determine that the solution does not exceed the limits by reviewing the MSDS and working with the supplier. In either case you need to document how you determined compliance. If you have a laboratory analyze the solution, you don't have to run every test under the sun, just the ones that may contribute to the characteristics of the discharge. For example, among others, you would need to measure pH, flash point, etc.

Basically what you will hear from your state regulatory agency is that it must meet the TCLP limits for hazardous waste, be that heavy metals, pH, flash point, etc. The flash point of the material must be above 140 degrees F or whatever the state and local agency has set as the limit. The pH of the solution must fall with in the range established by the state and local agency (ex. in the range of 6.0-9.0).

In my experience aqueous coatings commonly contain ammonium compounds (ammonia NH3). These compounds would affect the pH and also odor of the discharge. Odors may also be regulated by the state and local agency.

If you need assistance with silver discharge I may be able to provide some assistance. What specifically has been the problem? Does your facility have silver recovery units?