Printech Archive, February, 1998
Re: Tinting

From: Gary Jones (gjonesprinting@aol.com)
Date: Fri Mar 06 1998 - 11:03:21 CST

George:

Tinting is used mailny in the business forms manufacturing portion of the
printing industry. It is used to produce the pink, yellow, blue copies of a
multi-part form. Usually it is an ethanol-based dye system that is used to
color white paper. These systems are used to reduce the costs associated witht
he manufacturing of multipart forms as the costs of the pre-tinted paper from
the supplier is more expensive than white paper. It is my understanding that
there were several manufacturers of these systems who were working on a
"water-based" tinting system, but I am unware if they were successful. As you
know, water and paper are generally not a good mixture.

Gary Jones
GATF