Printech Archive, February, 1998
Re: Copper Plating Solution

From: Robert Gifford (gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 12 1998 - 16:56:41 CST

This message is forwarded on behalf of Curt Schmidt

Thanks for the reply on this product.

The product is called "Copper Plating Solution" (or "copper wash"), but it
doesn't actually contain copper. It's used to clean hydrophilic deposits on
metal/chrome transfer rollers that cause streaking. So it's actually a
cleaning, not plating.

The (Varn) MSDS I'm looking at is 10% METH, 4% muriatic acid, 35% IPA
and 49% ethylene glycol. I'm told that years ago such products did
contain Cu; now (apparently?) the muriatic acid is able to pull copper out
of the roller & redeposit it on the surface when used to clean.

I'm actually learning as I go on this since I'm not that familier with this type
of cleaning or this since type of product until it was brought to my
attention a week ago. The methylene chloride in it is something we'd like
to avoid. Thanks for your (& any other) feedback.

Curt C. Schmidt, CHMM