Printech Archive, February, 1998
Re: Substitute for 2-Propoxyethanol - query.

From: Wayne Pferdehirt (pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Wed Feb 11 1998 - 17:32:21 CST

Forwarded on behalf of Jim Hadley:

Here's a comparison of a propylene glycol ether with 2-propoxyethanol,
an ethylene glycol ether.

2-propoxyethanol (ethylene glycol monopropyl ether), CAS# 2807-30-9,
listed as a Clean Air Act Hazardous Air Pollutant (HAP), molecular
weight 104 g/mole, boiling point 149 C, Texas Effects Screening Level
(long term) 27 parts per billion.

Propylene glycol monoethyl ether, CAS# 1569-02-4, NOT listed as a HAP,
molecular weight 104 g/mole, boiling point 132 C, Texas Effects
Screening Level (long term) 90 parts per billion.

The Texas Effects Screening Levels provides an approximate relative
comparison of toxicity, it is an action level for more detailed
study-- not a threshold concentration. For more details see
http://www.tnrcc.state.tx.us/exec/chiefeng/tara/esl97.html

The propylene glycol monoethyl ether appears to be a little safer
(roughly three times less toxic) than the 2-propoxyethanol, and it has
similar properties, though I would not call it "much safer". If the
price is right, and there are significant actual emissions in this
flexographic application, it might be worth a try.

Jim Hadley