Printech Archive, February, 1998
Re: Fixer carryover into wash

From: Judy Zaczkowski (judy@envisioncompliance.com)
Date: Tue Feb 10 1998 - 14:46:55 CST

Tim:

Can your processor be converted to use a low flow, counter current wash so
that the silver in the wash water can be concentrated in one tank making
silver recovery more efficient? Any of the chemical suppliers such as Kodak,
Fuji, Trebla, etc. along with the equipment manufacturer can provide
information about these conversions. It's also important to use squeegees or
squeege-type rollers on the fixer exit to keep as much carryover as possible
out of the wash. Are you using in-line silver recovery in the fixer tank to
reduce the in-tank silver concentration to less than 1,000 mg/L? This can
dramatically affect the concentration of silver in the wash.

Judy Zaczkowski
Envision Compliance Ltd.
judy@envisioncompliance.com

> I am look for some information on how to treat the wash water in our film
> processor. We have been working the last few months on reducing the
silver content of our fixer unit, and through silver recovery and 2 Ion exchange
> units have brought our levels from 26 to .8 ppm. But a new problem has
> occured, we are carrying over into our wash tank and testing at 7ppm.
Local ordinance is 1 or under, I am trying to reduce this without adding on an
expensive water recirculation unit with a silver filter. Does anyone have
any thoughts for me that might help.