Printech Archives, May, 1997: Re: Citrus Press Cleaner

Re: Citrus Press Cleaner

Matt Kaarlela (
piatexas.matt@nt1.azone.net)
Mon, 12 May 1997 10:05:52 -0500

There are a number of citrus based cleaning chemicals out there but let me
caution you before you proceed with them. A Texas printer I worked with
used citrus based cleaners and had some negative results. After about three
months of operation, the citrus based cleaning products broke down the
rubber seals in motors, pumps, etc. and required an overhaul of equipment.
We discovered the problem could have been resolved by switching to custom
seals but they were very costly so the printer decided to quit using the
citrus products.

I have also heard of spontaneous combustion of shop towels when certain
citrus based cleaning products are mixed with some printing inks. The
reaction is apparently just a matter of generating heat which over time can
lead to a fire. I am not bashing citrus based products but do recommend you
test any new products carefully for compatability problems.

Matt Kaarlela,