Printech Archive, January 1996: Re: Which is better?

Re: Which is better?

DAVE SALMAN (
SALMAN.DAVE@epamail.epa.gov)
Tue, 30 Jan 1996 09:44:52 -0500

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 09:44:52 -0500
From: DAVE SALMAN <SALMAN.DAVE@epamail.epa.gov>
To: printech@great-lakes.net
Subject: Re: Which is better?

Interesting question. I would think it depends on the size and type of
printer and how often colored paper is needed. There can be a lot of
inventory costs associated with stocking many colors of paper and a lot of
costs associated with dedicating or using (and setting up and cleaning up)
a print station for coloring paper. There may be some technical or quality
problems associated with printing the color too.

I have had some contact with a company called Forms Manufacturers
Equipment (FME) in Orlando, FL. You can get a lot of information on
colored paper and coloring paper from Wayne Schneck of FME at
(800) 327-5676. One of their products is a "GP-Tinter" (from Norway)
which is used by web offset litho business form printers (and also for
envelopes, file folders and now greeting cards) to color white paper in the
many colors used in business forms and the other listed products. The
GP-Tinter can operate with waterbased or alcohol based inks. Having a
tinter eliminates the need for the printer to inventory many different colors
of paper. I think some paper mills may also be getting tinters because the
clean-up is easier and uses less harsh chemicals than the dyeing
processes previously used by paper mills.