Printech Archives November 1995: Re: ink skinning\

Re: ink skinning\

Wayne Pferdehirt (PFERDEHI@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 15:44:00 CST

Gary,

Following up on my earlier note:

I'll assume you will be forwarding any responses on this to
P2Tech.

Date: Wed, 22 Nov 95 14:00:27 CST
From: Gary Miller <garym@hwric.hazard.uiuc.edu>
To: printech@great-lakes.net
Subject: ink skinning\

---------------------------- Forwarded with Changes ---------------------------
From: bmleon01@starbase.spd.louisville.edu at UIUCnet
Date: 11/22/95 12:17PM To: Gary Miller at hwric_admin_post
*To: p2tech@great-lakes.net at UIUCnet Subject: ink skinning\
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- To all of
you on PRINTECH: The message below came to me via
another listserv, P2TECH. Since it's about printing, I
passed it on to you for comment. I'll send back on
P2TECH any useful responses sumbitted. Thanks. Let's
show the P2TECHers what we can do!

Gary Miller HWRIC One East Hazelwood
Drive Campaign IL 61820

217/333-8942 phone 217/333-8944 fax
garym@hwric.hazard.uiuc.edu

Thanks for the quick responses regarding ink
skinning. In regards to this subject, some ink waste is
inevitable. When skinning occurs can the skins be
reversed back to ink. We think we know of a recycler
that can reblend ink waste into black ink, but would
like to know of anyone else in the business. Again, this
is offset ink which recyclers avoid reblending due to it
containing drying agents. Also, a couple of you
mentioned anti-skinning agents. We know of one
called "Economist" that some printers use. Does anyone
have information regarding this product or other products
that prevent and/or reduce skinning? Does anyone have
documented case studies on waste min. and savings
incurred as a result of implementing a procedure that
promotes anti-skinning? Sorry about the number of
questions so close to the holiday

Thanks in advance Brian Leonhard UofL IAC

Wayne P. Pferdehirt, P.E., AICP
U. of Wis., Solid & Hazardous Waste Education Center
610 Langdon Street, Room 529, Madison, WI 53703-1195
Phone: 608/265-2361 Fax: 608/262-6250
pferdehi@epd.engr.wisc.edu