Re: UV Inks

Marcia Kinter
Tue, 14 Nov 95 21:14:00 UTC 0000

Reply to message 8834901 from PRINTECH@GREAT-LAKES.NET@INET# on 11/13/95
Regarding the issue of UV curable inks for screen printing operations --
Skin irritations depend on the chemical sensitivity of the person using the
inks. Unfortunately, some people are more senstive than others. However, we
have found that if the correct personal protective equipment is used, such as
gloves and aprons, then the problem may not occur. Oftentimes, the printer
uses UV curables like solvent inks, which evaporate. UV inks do not evaporate
and the use of solvents to clean the inks off skin only drives the ink into the
skin thereby making the situation worse. Moral -- remember that you need to
learn how to use UV curable inks, and that they do handle differently than
conventional solvent based inks.

If the UV inks are cured properly, then uncured inks should not be a problem.
Uncured inks do not cause skin sensitivity, but oftentimes incorrectly trained
personnel. So, the bottom line -- UV inks can stillcause skin irritations, but
the use of personal protective equipment minimizes the danger.

Bonus questions -- UV inks still cost more than conventional solvent based
inks, however, you are able to print more square inches per gallon of UV ink.

De-inking -- I do have some information on this, but will have to dig it up.
It supports the use of UV technology and recycling efforts.

Toxics in UV inks -- the only known toxic scare had to do with NVP and a
manufacturers', not OSHA, recommended exposure level. To my knowledge, this is
not a problem since most UV ink manufacuturers removed NVP or the printers
discovered they did not have an overexposure problem.

This information pertains specficially to the use UV technology within the
screen printing industry. Anything else, please contact me directly at
703-359-1313 or via e-mail through these listservs.
Marci Kinter



Disclaimer/Copyright Info
Email the Webmaster