Printech Archive
Lead in Flexographic Inks

From: Deb Jacobson (djacobson@istc.illinois.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 14:00:19 CST

PNEAC_customer,
My first comment is to tell you that generally there is/was little lead
used in
flexographic inks in the 1980's because U.S. EPA had already implemented the
lead regulations, however there are a few caveats to that comment. First,
some
specialty inks may have had lead in them which would have been dependent on
the
printing company and the product specifications that they had to comply with
from their vendor. Secondly, are you sure the lead came from the inks and not
some letter press lead type making activity?

I don't have historical information on inks like this, but George Fuchs from
the National Association of Printing Ink Manufacturers may. I suggest you
contact him at gfuchs@napim.org or their web site can be found at
http://pneac.org/contacts

Thank you for visiting the PNEAC web site. Would you please consider helping
us out (and get FREE STUFF) now that we've helped you by completing the survey
about PNEAC located on our web site at http://pneac.org/survey99/survey.htm

Good luck with your case study. When it is complete I would be interested
in a
copy.

Regards,
Deb Jacobson

At 08:58 PM 12/6/99 -0500, PNEAC_customer wrote:

>I'm working on a case study concerning
>renal failure due to chronic lead
>exposure. The patient was working with
>flexographic lead-based inks, but I
>don't know the manufacturer. Is there
>an average amount of lead found in these
>inks? The exposure occurred between 1983
>and 1987 around Detroit, Michigan.
>Thanks!

Debra Jacobson (formerly Kramer)
E-mail Address djacobson@istc.illinois.edu (Revised 9/99)