Printech Archive
Re: Insidious Solvents Article

From: Deb Jacobson (djacobson@istc.illinois.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 15 1999 - 14:16:12 CST

I asked our librarian to do a search and we WERE able to find the
article. The information follows. Thank you for utilizing the PNEAC's
services, could you please help us out and complete the survey linked on
our web site? You'll get FREE stuff for submitting it!

Thanks again and please let us know if we can assist you further.

Deb Jacobson

Author(s): Rebsamen, Werner
Title: Bindery: Insidious Solvents
Source: American Printer v206n3, (Dec 1990): p.66,68 (2 pages)
Journal Code: APR
Supplier No: 91-05413
Standard No: ISSN: 0744-6616 CODEN: APRTBC
Language: English
Abstract: The Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT) book-testing
laboratory is familiar with the difficulties caused by quick-setting inks
and cold-set web offset printing. Despite disagreements with some chemists,
the RIT lab has several examples of ink-solvent migration to demonstrate
its potential problems to printers. In a study at the FOGRA (West Germany)
research institute, researchers found that half of all solvents used on
sheet-fed offset lithography printed works were still in a liquid phase 3
months after the job was printed. However, 6 weeks later, damages were so
severe that pages came loose in normal use. To prevent such problems,
printers and binders can take the following steps: 1. if the ink must bleed
into the binding edge, strip it out at least 3/16 inch on each side of the
fold, 2. specify a 2-shot adhesive binding, 3. specify polyurethane (PUR)
adhesive, 4. store sheet-fed printing sheets and signatures with heavy ink
coverage, 5. if such risks exist, recommend Smyth sewing, and 6. if in
doubt, always test.

Geographic: US
Class Code: 8690; 8640; 9190
Document Type: Journal article
Accession No: 00531069

At 04:12 PM 12/14/99 -0500, PNEAC_customer@pneac.org wrote:
>Are you familiar with an article by Werner Rebsamen titled "Insidious
>Solvents"?
>I am trying to located the magazine issue that the article originally
>appeared in.
>Any help you can ofer would be appreciated.

Debra Jacobson (formerly Kramer)
E-mail Address djacobson@istc.illinois.edu (Revised 9/99)
(PNEAC/GPP http://www.pneac.org)
1010 Jorie Boulevard, Suite 12