Printech Archive
Ink used in U.S.

From: Robert Gifford (gifford@epd.engr.wisc.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 03 1999 - 10:38:41 CST

A recent article in Graphic Arts Monthly magazine, <www,gammag.com>,
listed a total dollar amount used to purchase inks, $4.4Billion. I am not
sure how much ink this purchased. There is a trade organization, the
National Association of Printing Ink Manufacturers, which may tally such
things. Their web site is <www.napim.org>. You may wish to contact James
 Coleman, <jcoleman@napim.org>, who is listed on their contacts page as
the 'facts and figures' person.

If you are interested in reporting on ways to reduce the use of printing
inks, PNEAC has a fact sheet,
<http://www.pneac.org/sheets/litho/inks.cfm>, which describes some
general ideas. Another idea is for printers to recycle inks. Check out
<http://www.pneac.org/sheets/litho/lith_ink.cfm> for more ideas.

Thanks for using PNEAC. I hope that you can use the information.

Bob