Printech Archive
Re: Specialty Textile Ink

From: Mike Ukena (mukena@gte.net)
Date: Thu Aug 05 1999 - 23:08:30 CDT

The product you are looking for is a tough one. Ink companies focus their
efforts on exactly the opposite of what you want. They build inks that
won't wash out and will hold up longer than the fabric. I have consulted
with an ink chemist at my own company as well as one I respect at a
competitor and they both gave me the same answer.

What you want is possible. The key would be an ink without a binder that
contains a pigment that has no staying power. The main components of a
waterbase ink are water, binder (holds the pigment in the fabric), a pigment
for color, and a thickener to give an ink a consistency that makes it
screenable. Ink companies reject pigments that won't bind to a fabric so
what you need is one that ink companies don't have. Both chemists
recommended that your best bet was probably a food grade coloring that could
be added to a water/thickener combination. Any reputable ink supplier could
supply the thickener.

They suggested a good blue or purple coloring. Try diluting some in water,
daub it on some fabric and wash test it. If it comes out, add thickener and
you have a product.

Let me know how it goes and I would be happy to help.

Mike